This is your classic fall dessert that makes good use of the wonderful apples coming into season, and simply heaven to eat when still hot and bubbling out of the oven. A scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side (or on top), and you almost don’t need to eat the rest of supper. (Or try it for breakfast!)
- 5 to 6 medium apples (about 8 to 10 cups) peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, prepare the apple mixture by combining the prepared apples, white sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow the apples to sweat and the flavors to combine. Place the apple mixture in a 9-by-13-inch pan, and pour the water over the apple mixture.
- To make the topping, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and melted butter. Work this mixture together with a fork until it comes to a uniform, crumbly consistency. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. The fruit should be bubbling and the topping browned. Let cool (to allow it to set up) before serving.
— Paul Anater
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!