This is one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make—a tempting combination of chicken, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. It’s summer embodied in a satisfying main dish.
Baked Chicken and Zucchini Gratin
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- ¾ tsp salt divided
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 cup dry breadcumbs
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves
- 4 tbsp olive or vegetable oil divided
- 5 medium zucchinis sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 tsp minced fresh basil
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg, water, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and pepper.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs. Place the remaining crumbs in a large zipper-lock bag. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then place it in the bag and shake to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a skillet heated to medium-high, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until it turns golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the zucchini slices in the remaining oil until they are crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved breadcrumbs over the zucchini. Top with the tomato slices; sprinkle with ⅔ cup of the mozzarella, the basil, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Top with the chicken.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella. Bake 10 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted.
— Mariquita Farm, Watsonville, California
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!