Balsamic Rhubarb Compote
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 2 stalks fresh rhubarb leaves discardeed, ends trimmed, and stalks cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, or 2 cups frozen sliced rhubarb, thawed, liquid reserved
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, simmer the vinegar with the sugar and ginger, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Then stir in the rhubarb (with reserved liquid if using frozen).
- If you are using fresh rhubarb, simmer it until it is crisp-tender, about 1 minute, then use a slotted spoon to transfer it to a bowl, keeping the liquid behind in the pan. If you are using frozen rhubarb, transfer the rhubarb to a bowl as soon as it returns to a simmer (don’t continue cooking it), also keeping the liquid behind in the pan.
- Simmer the liquid until it thickens slightly, about 5 minutes, and then remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the rhubarb. Serve the compote warm or at room temperature.
— Produce for Better Health; Fruits & Veggies—More Matters; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!