This lovely, creamy, savory soup enhances the delicate garlic-asparagus flavor of the scapes. You may use the garlic scape flowers as well.
Garlic Scape Soup
- 3 cups garlic scapes cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté the garlic scapes and onion in the olive oil over medium heat until the vegetables become soft. Add the thyme at the end.
- In a food processor, puree the vegetables and add chicken broth as needed to make a smooth paste.
- In a saucepan, heat the vegetable puree and add the remaining broth. Bring to a simmer and add the cream, stirring regularly. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Dietary tip: To make this soup vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. — The Garlic Store, Fort Collins, Colorado
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!