Grilled Eggplant Slices
These delectable slices are equally good hot off the grill or at room temperature, either naked on their own or dressed up. This recipe calls for globe eggplants, but you can use any type of eggplant, including the slender Asian ones sliced lengthwise (these will cook faster, so pay attention that they don't burn).
- 2 medium globe eggplants (or 4 to 6 Asian eggplants)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- finely minced fresh herbs (optional)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Wash each eggplant and thinly slice off and discard the button ends.
- Slice the eggplants a bit thicker than you would for a parmesan-style prep, about ¾ inch.
- Firmly pat them dry. Sprinkle coarse sea salt on both sides and set the slices aside in a colander for about 15 minutes to leach out any bitterness.
- Spritz with good-tasting olive oil and sprinkle with optional finely minced fresh herbs.
- Grill the slices quickly—about 90 seconds on each side, or until tender.
- Serve hot immediately or let cool.
Interesting accompaniments might include thin-thin mozzarella slices, or a tomato slice and single basil leaf, or mango salsa, or peach chutney, or arugula dressed with vinaigrette. —From Picked at the Peak by Deborah DeBord, Ph.D.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!