Serve this simple but delicious winter Italian White Bean Soup with a green salad and delicious artisan bread and butter. It will thicken on the second day. You can add water to thin it out, or serve it as-is for a side dish.
Italian White Bean Soup
- ¼ cup flavorful, extra-virgin olive oil (Greek is good)
- ¼ to ½ cup chopped Italian or curly leaf parsley
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound cannellini beans, washed, sorted, soaked, cooked, and drained
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Sauté the parsley and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the cooked beans and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat while you mash about a cup of the mixture with a fork, or put in a blender until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Return the mashed mixture to the pot and cook for 6 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
— Marianne Streich
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!