Serve this simple but delicious winter soup with a green salad and delicious artisan bread and butter. It will thicken on the second day. You can add water to thin it out, or serve it as-is for a side dish. This recipe is courtesy of Marianne Streich of Seattle, Washington.
Italian White Bean Soup
- ¼ cup flavorful, extra virgin olive oil (I like Greek)
- ¼ to ½ cup chopped Italian or curly leaf parsley
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb cannellini beans, washed, sorted, soaked, cooked, and drained
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground white pepper (optional)
- Sauté parsley and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add cooked beans and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat while you mash about a cup of the mixture with a fork or put in a blender until the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Return mashed mixture to the pot and cook for 6 more minutes. Season to taste, and serve immediately.