This is absolutely delicious meat loaf and sauce. Those who claim they don’t believe there can be such a thing as a great meat loaf will love this. A second batch of sauce served hot is good to serve with the meat loaf.
Meat Loaf: Yes, Virginia, There Is a Great Meat Loaf!
For the Meatloaf
- 1½ pounds ground beef (ground shoulder roast is good)
- 1 slice bread torn or chopped finely
- 1 egg
- 1 small Vidalia onion (or other type of sweet onion, such as Walla Walla) finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ to ⅔ cup milk or half-and-half
For the Sauce
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons firmly packed, dark brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the meat loaf ingredients in a large bowl; stir them gently so as not to compact the mixture too much. Place the mixture into a loaf-shaped baking dish, patting it so the sides of the mixture don’t quite touch the sides of the pan. Smooth out the top.
- Combine the sauce ingredients, varying the amount of brown sugar according to your taste, and pour the sauce over the top and sides of the meat loaf.
- Bake for 1 to 1¼ hours, or until the meat loaf is nicely browned; there should not be juices pooled in the pan by this point.
— Nita Holleman, Food.com
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!