This salad is a terrific way to use up all sorts of vegetables that tend to pile up in the lush days of late summer. You can substitute yellow or any young summer squash for the zucchini, or use cucumber, thinly sliced carrots or okra, broccoli, and even Asian eggplant rounds in place of some of the other veggies.
Pickled Mixed Vegetable Salad
- 2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 3 or 4 radishes, sliced
- ½ medium white onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup green pepper coarsely diced
- 1 cup sliced cauliflower
- 1 medium tomato cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 to 4 sprigs parsley, diced
- 1 clove garlic finely diced and crushed
- Several leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 6 tbsp salad oil
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Onion or garlic powder to taste
- Seasoned salt
- Parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- Toss the zucchini, radishes, onion, green peppers, cauliflower, tomato, parsley, garlic, and basil together in a bowl. Sprinkle with the salad oil and lemon juice.
- Dissolve the sugar and vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour over the salad. Season to taste with salt, pepper, onion or garlic powder, seasoned salt, and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Chill several hours before serving, stirring occasionally to distribute the juices.
— By Betty Culp, Daisies Do Tell ... A Recipe Book.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!