Pita Pockets with Fresh Figs and Roasted Chicken
Fresh figs and feta cheese add a delicious, savory twist to these hearty roasted chicken pita pockets!
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup shredded roasted chicken breast and thighs (skin removed)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves)
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup mixed baby greens
- 1 cup sliced fresh figs
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 4 white or whole wheat pita rounds, cut crosswise to form pockets
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts; cook for 3 minutes or until they are lightly browned, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the shredded chicken and red onion with the oregano and ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper. Add the greens, figs, feta cheese, and toasted walnuts; drizzle with the oil and vinegar.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ⅛ teaspoon black pepper and toss to mix well.
- Divide the mixture into eight portions and spoon into the pita pockets. Serve.
—Recipe by California Figs, as appears in Bounty from the Box: The CSA Farm Cookbook, by Mi Ae Lipe
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!