This is a crunchy, delicious snack that takes a little work, but if you have kids around, this can be fun for them to join in.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 medium or large pumpkin
- salt (plain, garlic, or seasoned)
- Any other seasonings (see more below)
- vegetable oil
- Slice open one pumpkin, and scoop out the seeds. Separate the seeds from the pulp, rinsing thoroughly under running water to remove as much flesh as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the seeds in a bowl and sprinkle them with lots of seasoned salt, a little flavored oil, soy or Worcestershire sauce, minced fresh garlic, or any other flavoring you prefer. (Garlic salt, a little pepper, Tabasco sauce, Old Bay, Tex-Mex, or cheese-flavored popcorn seasoning are good too.) Mix well.
- Grease a baking sheet with a thin film of vegetable oil. Spread the seeds out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake the seeds for about 20 minutes. Then stir the seeds and sample them for doneness by taking out a few, letting them cool, and munching. Add more seasoning and roasting time, if necessary.
Tip: The seeds will continue to roast for a little while after removing them from the oven, so take them out a little ahead of the time you think they will be done. Variation: For sweet pumpkin seeds, use sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, salt, and a little honey for a sweet and salty treat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!