This is a lovely, simple dish that makes an ideal savory side with meat or chicken, or as a main course on its own with salad and wine. The squash may be peeled if desired.
Roasted Squash with Potatoes and Garlic
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sprig rosemary or thyme finely chopped, plus 1 more for garnish
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 unpeeled acorn squash (1 to 1½ pounds), washed, halved, seeded, and cut into 12 equal pieces
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), unpeeled, washed, and quartered
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the garlic, olive oil, chopped rosemary, and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the squash and potato pieces and toss well to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the squash and potatoes in a single layer in a large, shallow baking pan (use two pans if necessary). Drizzle with the garlic-oil mixture, and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with the second rosemary sprig.
- Bake for 35 minutes, switching the pans halfway through the cooking time for even baking. After the vegetables have browned on one side, turn them over, lower the heat to 350°F, and then bake for 20 minutes more, or until the squash and potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
— Produce for Better Health; Fruits & Veggies—More Matters; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!