Olive oil infused with fragrant fresh rosemary or basil makes a delicious addition to all sorts of Italian or Mediterranean dishes. Drizzle it over pasta, soups, and salads; use it as dipping oil for bread or fresh vegetables; add it to salad dressings; and stir a little into any recipe calling for a hint of rosemary or basil flavor. Use the best quality olive oil that you can afford—its flavor will come through accordingly.
Rosemary or Basil-Infused Oil
- 1 cup mild olive oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup packed, chopped fresh rosemary leaves or ½ cup packed, roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- Place the oil and rosemary or basil in a 3½- to 4-quart slow cooker. Cook uncovered over high heat for 1 hour, then turn the cooker off.
- Allow the oil to cool to room temperature; then pour it through a sieve lined with a clean paper towel (or a paper coffee filter) into a clean glass jar or bottle.
- Cover the jar tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 months. (After that, the flavor may fade.) The oil may cloud under refrigeration, but it will become clear again at room temperature.