Do not toss this salad; it should look arranged. This Riviera favorite goes best with vinaigrette dressing. You don’t have to cook much—just boil the eggs and potatoes and steam the green beans (or pick them up at a salad bar for a no-cook meal). Then open a can and a couple of jars, chop, stir, assemble, and it’s done. It’s a fun finger-food meal for kids too!
Serve with good sliced French bread, warmed or toasted, and maybe even a chilled dry rosé wine.
- ½ pound green string beans
- 4 small red or white potatoes
- 1 head Boston or red leaf lettuce
- 1 (6-ounce) can albacore or other high-quality tuna drained
- 3 to 4 tomatoes quarted, or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 to 3 hard-boiled eggs peeled and halved
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper seeded and cut into thin rings
- 16 to 20 herbed black olives (Niçoise olives are the classic choice)
- 2 tbsp capers
- 8 anchovy fillets (optional)
Salade Niçoise Vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- pinch of fresh tarragon or basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Steam the string beans until just crisp-tender. Cool them quickly in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking, then trim as needed.
- Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 6 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking until the mixture is well-blended.
- Peel the cooked potatoes, if desired, and cut into ¼-inch slices while still very warm. Douse with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and allow to cool.
- Thoroughly wash and spin-dry the lettuce. Place in a large bowl, add 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette, and toss lightly.
- Place the lettuce on a platter. Arrange the string beans, potatoes, tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and bell pepper on top of the greens in a decorative fashion. Sprinkle the olives, capers, and anchovies over the salad, drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette, and serve.