Don’t let the plain-sounding title of this recipe give you the wrong idea. This is a great savory dish—after all, with bacon, cheese, walnuts, and green garlic, and spinach, how much more umami goodness could you want? You can also add hot chiles for added pizzazz.
Spinach, Nuts, and Cheese with Green Garlic
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup minced onion (red or white)
- 2 green garlic scapes minced, or 2 regular cloves garlic
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 bunch spinach coarsely chopped and washed
- ¼ cup cubed feta or fresh mozzarella cheese
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the bacon (if using), set it aside, and drain off the fat. Heat the olive oil on medium heat, and sauté the onion, garlic scapes, and walnuts until they soften.
- Stir the spinach into the nut-and-onion mixture and cook down, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bacon and cheese; cover until warmed, about 3 minutes.