This unusual but refreshing salad features Sungolds (those little sweet, almost tropical balls of tomato goodness) coated with a yogurt-based dressing flavored with cumin and oregano, and sprinkled with salty feta cheese. This dish comes from The Blue Heron Coffeehouse in Winona, Minnesota.
Sungold Salad with Feta and Cumin-Yogurt Dressing
- 2 pints Sungold cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup plain yogurt, drained about 30 minutes, liquid discarded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 small chunk (about 3 oz) crumbled feta cheese
- Stem and halve the tomatoes and toss them with salt in a large bowl. Let them rest until a small pool of liquid accumulates—about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the drained yogurt, oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, scallions, oregano, and pepper together in a small bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the tomatoes and accumulated liquid. Toss everything to coat. Set aside to blend the flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Crumble the feta over the tomatoes and toss to combine. Adjust the seasonings and serve immediately.