Sweet onion and tart apricots complement the buttery taste of lima beans. This can be served hot, as a side dish, or cold, as a relish.
Sweet Onion and Apricot Limas
- ⅔ cup dry baby lima beans, or one (15-ounce) can rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sweet onion (such as Walla Walla) sliced
- 1 cup sliced dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- ½ cup honey
- In a large saucepan, place the beans in 3 cups of water. Soak overnight, or boil for 2 minutes and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain the beans, then combine them with the onion, apricots, salt, and water in a saucepan. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until the beans are very tender but not mushy.
- Add the honey and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Serve as a hot dish or cold relish with turkey, chicken, or pork.
— US Dry Bean Council
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!